If you dislike the appearance of your teeth because they are overcrowded or crooked looking then a great conservative option would be invisible braces.
These include short-term adult orthodontic solutions that only take six months to complete.
Alternatively, other popular choices include smile makeovers using veneers that not only straighten the teeth but can also improve the colour of your teeth.
There are three classifications of crooked teeth:
Each type of severity creates different methods of treatment:
- Mild crowding: dental veneers (including direct and indirect veneers, or composite and porcelain veneers) and short term orthodontic treatment (including Invisalign Go, CFast, Inman Aligner and 6 Month Smiles) or conventional orthodontics.
- Moderate crowding: dental veneers (including primarily indirect veneers such as porcelain veneers) and short term orthodontic treatment (including Invisalign, CFast and 6 Month Smiles) or conventional orthodontics.
- Severe crowding: dental veneers ( with indirect porcelain veneers preferably after some type of orthodontics)and short term orthodontic treatment (including CFast and 6 Month Smiles) or conventional orthodontics.
Complex crowding occurs where there is a combination of moderate or severe crowding with other issues such as gaps between teeth, bite issues (with large overjet or overbite), narrow smiles and structural teeth issues.
In this case, the treatment is also complex.
Your frequently asked questions answered:
Is it OK to have crooked teeth?
A lot of patients wonder whether they should straighten their teeth or not, for most people, crooked teeth issues (especially minor) are not major issues they are concerned about correcting if it is not necessary, and we completely understand this.
At the end of the day, the choice is yours.
However, we do often see more oral health problems arising from patients who chose not to straighten their teeth.
Gum disease often forms from plaque and tartar build-up that is difficult to remove and clean because of the crookedness of the teeth.
How do you fix crooked teeth?
There are multiple treatments we can use to straighten and realign your smile.
Procedures will be discussed further below in more detail - as a quick answer, over the past year or so, Invisalign has been the most popular.
Can I straighten my teeth without braces?
Not everyone wants to fix their crooked teeth or bite issues with braces.
This is because even though new, modern brace systems are typically faster, patients often wish to carry out their treatments in private and wish to see results instantly.
And for some, braces are just no the right option.
Instant orthodontics (veneers) has now become a popular choice for patients who want to see rapid results.
This is because only a small number of veneers will be needed to makeover your mouth, are not invasive (require no drilling) and can be applied in one appointment.
Straightened teeth without braces case study:
View more veneer before and afters here.
Crooked teeth treatments
- Traditional, fixed braces: Average treatment takes around two years to complete and can be highly effective at fixing extreme overbites. With no cosmetic benefits, the treatment often is associated with a lot of stigma and is known to be the most uncomfortable.
- Lingual braces: Often referred to as hidden braces, they are fitted to the back of the teeth rather than the front.
- Six Month Smiles: Another clear aligner and brace system that is designed to straighten your teeth in less time.
- Ceramic braces: These are tooth-coloured wired braces, which work exactly like traditional braces, however, they are most discreet and blend better with the natural tooth. Patients can expect treatment to be completed four to six months, on average
- Invisalign: Fast, effective and discreet. The treatment uses a set of custom clear aligners to straighten teeth in half the time.
How much can I expect to spend? Many adult orthodontic options are priced from £2,000 to £5,000. See our fees here.
Watch why Janet came to our practice
Straighter teeth in less time: Options...
Leading 6-Month Smiles
Before & After photos
Contact us for any questions, requests and further information; or to arrange a FREE Initial Consultation.
Our free no obligation Initial Consultation will be with our dentist and/or our Treatment Coordinators. The suitability of options discussed will ultimately be dependent upon your clinical assessment with a dentist at the practice.