Last Updated on
There are many types of porcelain veneer types including:
These provide the most aesthetic veneers as they are layered on a platinum foil with a very precise and exacting technique that requires a very experienced ceramist to use this material.
The strength of this material is low at about 90MPa, having the lowest strengths of all veneers and thus fragile and thus challenging to use.
This material used to be the mainstay of veneers about 10 – 15 years ago.
Empress from Ivoclar Vivadent
These are lucite reinforced pressed ceramics with strengths of about 200 MPa and with decades of clinical success.
The marginal adaptation is excellent but these veneers are the least aesthetic as they create a more opaque like appearance and thus an unnatural look.
We rarely use this porcelain.
Emax from Ivoclar Vivadent
Emax uses either lithium disilicate ceramic, zirconia and Tetric CAD ( a hybrid ceramic resin ) as the underlying base thus creating the ability to be used not just for veneers but for crowns and bridges.
The strengths of these range from 250 MPa to 1200 MPa dependant on the material used.
The Zirconia base is opaque and is thus more indicated for back teeth and bridges, where strength is the prerequisite.
The Tetric Cad is ideal for back teeth allowing flexure.
The Lithium Disilicate ceramic is ideal for veneers as it has a range of ingots to creating the ability to provide patient-specific aesthetics including:
- HT – with High Translucency
- MT – with Medium Translucency
- LT – with Low Translucency
And the Opal range which can be all most see-through when pressed thin and ideal for no or minimal predation veneers.
The use the layering ceramic will colour match the smile irrespective of the foundation base used and is thus ideal smile makeover as the aesthetics can be excellent.
Emax has shown about 98% survival rate with over 40 million restorations made over the last decade.
Lava from 3M
There are 2 types of 3M Lava veneers
- 3M Lava Plus Zirconia which has a strength of 1400Mpa
- 3M Lava Esthetic Zirconia which has a strength of 800Mpa
- Both these are colour matched to the Vita classic shade
The strength of 3M Lava Esthetic Zirconia is almost half that of 3M Lava Plus Zirconia.
But has other advantages including a gradient pre-shaded cubic zirconia.
Offering four shading formulation, inherent fluorescence for all shades enabling highly aesthetic full-contour veneers to be fabricated in a simple mill-sinter-glaze process.
Other less popular manufacturers include cubeX, Katana and Imagine.
However, the brands that we commonly use include Durathin, Ultrathin and Lumineers; with Durathin and Ultrathin using Emax as the foundation for these veneers.
The process starts with a FREE discovery consultation.
Where we discuss your needs and requirements with a Computerised Photographic Assessment to help you understand the possibilities.
We are at this stage able to assist you with potential options available to you.
Depending on your requirements we can customise and tailor-make individual treatments plan to suit your needs and budgets.
You can opt for simple procedures to more complex involved treatments plans to produce your beautiful new smile.
We aim to answer your questions and provide you with advantages and disadvantages etc.
We can also provide you with a computer-aided smile analysis and a handcrafted Trial Preview, to allow you to see your smile before we even touch your teeth.
We also use Bite Analysis technology to ensure a long-lasting, comfortable and a healthy final result.
We then decide what type of veneer treatment is ideal for you by discussing the advantages and disadvantages of each type of veneer.
- We can help establish monthly payment plans.
- We provide 0% finance for up to 24-month term plans. Many patients find our payment plan option very useful.
- Terms over 24 months will be low-interest bearing.
- If you would like to consider this option we will need to carry out a few credit checks.
- We can discuss payment plans at both the Hertfordshire & the London clinic
Veneers are usually not painful whilst you are having the treatment.
However, some have reported slight sensitivity during the settling down period after the final fitting.
This is quite normal and nothing to worry about.
It usually only lasts for a few days and very soon after subsidies. More.
The sensitivity is due to the bonding process where an inorganic substance (the veneer) has been bonded to an organic component (your tooth).
In complex cases, involving a large amount of treatment, you may experience a little uncomfortableness while your teeth settle down.
Fast, simple, pain-free process
- At your first appointment, your dentist will take a look at the general health of your teeth and gums, your bite and understand your goals for your smile; and then see if any fundamental issues need addressing before cosmetic veneer work can begin.
- We will also discuss the type of veneers that may be suitable and also the how-many-veneers that should be considered in achieving your desired smile. On some patients, it may be possible to get some veneers placed at an initial phase and then to have the possibility of additional veneers in the future.
- We will always plan your new smile before any treatment is carried out. We aim to provide you with the most conservative and preservative dentistry.
- In order, to prevent excessive tooth preparation, we design your new smile in a way that minimises tooth preparation. We also provide options whereby you can have orthodontic or teeth straightening treatment carried out before any cosmetic veneer work is done.
- This way your teeth are already well aligned and so very minimal or hardly any tooth preparation become necessary.
- If you are concerned in any way we advise that you speak to us in your complimentary consultation. We will be able to provide you with suitable solutions. More.
Simple, transparent pricing
A few factors will affect the total cost of your cosmetic veneers:
- The type of material used – Porcelain (Ultrathin or Lumineers ) are more expensive than composite resin veneers.
- The number of veneers being applied – veneers are priced per tooth and so the more you have, the higher the cost.
- Your dental health – if you require treatment for other dental issues such as tooth decay or gum disease before veneers can be fitted then this will be included in the total cost of your dentistry work. More.
Frequently asked questions
- WHAT IS A DENTAL VENEER?
- ARE VENEERS PAINFUL?
- WHAT TYPE OF PORCELAIN VENEERS ARE THERE?
- WHAT ARE THE ALTERNATIVES TO PORCELAIN?
- HOW LONG WILL TREATMENT TAKE?
- HOW MUCH DO VENEERS COST FOR YOUR TEETH?
- ARE THERE ANY COMPLICATIONS?
- IS THERE AN AGE LIMIT?
- HOW DO I GET THE SMILE THAT I WANT?
- WHAT IS THE MAINTENANCE THAT IS REQUIRED?
Will my veneers match the colour of my existing teeth?
Veneers are colour matched and then shaped to blend in with your existing teeth. To the naked eye, veneers are very hard to spot.
We use a variety of types of veneers including Durathin, Lumineers, Ultrathin and a range of materials from porcelain to composite. One of the reasons that veneers are so popular is that they can treat a multitude of dental problems such as:
- They cosmetically enhance the shape of your teeth instantly change your appearance
- Have whiter looking teeth
- Crooked teeth the illusion of being straight
- Porcelain veneers are more resistant to stains than natural teeth
- They are a less invasive option than porcelain crowns
- Nearly impossible to tell the difference between veneers and natural teeth
- Veneers protect the underlying tooth
Aesthetic Success delivered in a few appointments
|Step 1: comprehensive assessment|
|Step 2: the trial smile|
|Step 3: review & shade selection|
|Step 4: the fitting visit|
|Step 5: the final review visit|
Dentists with a special interest in veneers
An unparalleled level of patient trust: Dr Rahul Doshi is the founder of the Perfect Smile and is the current President of the BACD.
With over 25 years of experience, Perfect Smile Studios has a highly-skilful team that has access to the latest dental technology.
- 150+ years of combined experience
- Est in 1994
- CQC registered
- Faster appointment times
- All staff are GDC registered
- Recommend excellent by Trustpilot