RAHUL DOSHI HAS EXPLAINED THE RESTORATIVE ADVANTAGES OF THIS MULTI-PURPOSE APPLIANCE
These days, interdisciplinary treatment planning requires an armamentarium of specific tools, techniques and systems that can be drawn upon as and when the need arises.
Indeed, comprehensive interdisciplinary dentistry is incomplete without the knowledge of all the various methods available to either make life easier, to compliment your dentistry or to improve the longevity of the dentistry advised.
Snap-On Smile is a multi-purpose cosmetic appliance for use in specific restorative situations. Its versatility makes it a very viable treatment option.
This innovation fills in many deficiencies perceived by dentists during treatment planning for restorative and prosthodontic dentistry.
A useful alternative
As you can see, there are multiple situations in which a Snap-On Smile could be indicated. It can be used as an adjunct to treatment or as another viable option in specific circumstances.
As you start to use it as part of your armamentarium for treatment options you will begin to discover newer more pliable options for its application.
However, though few exist, there are certain limitations to its use and the clinician needs to be aware of these.
For instance, Snap-On Smile cannot be used for the completely edentulous patient or where orthodontic treatment is ongoing and it would not be indicated for use in the severely periodontally compromised dentition.
Also, if your patient is seeking superior cosmetics and a natural-looking enhanced permanent smile then this may not be the option of choice.
Despite the few limitations, it still provides many sound applications for use in restoring dentitions. For this reason it should be considered when treatment planning and discussing options with patients.
It simply provides a very useful alternative solution and should not be entirely dismissed.
The future of a successful case is dependent on the clinician’s ability to draw upon technology and put it to its best application. This enhances the dental experience for the patient and allows control and predictability in treatment planning for the dentist.
Snap-On Smile is one technology that can enhance both experience and predictability of treatment.
Situations in which Snap-On Smile can be considered:
- The appliance can be used as an aesthetic provisional during implant treatment for both occlusal stability and as provisional’s
- Snap-On Smile can be used as a cosmetic removal partial denture. It will replace missing teeth but at the same time enhance the appearance of the remaining teeth. It provides the ideal solution to retention, comfort and aesthetics especially for those patients unable to tolerate traditional dentures
- It has its uses as a long-term smile enhancer for those patients who want a simpler and non-invasive treatment option
- Severe tooth wear due to attrition or bruxism can lead to loss of vertical dimension. A simple solution to this problem would be to restore vertical height with Snap-On Smile
- Snap-On Smile would prove as a suitable option for medically compromised patients unable to receive permanent restorative dentistry
- It would also work equally well for those patients whose age precludes them from having extensive work yet they require a combination of function and aesthetics
- Certain patients may choose this option over any other because they are afraid to have extensive work done and fear restorative procedures
- Also, certain patients may need to delay reconstructive work for various reasons. The Snap-On Smile produces a suitable temporary measure.
- It helps to overcome a variety of short- and long-term clinical challenges
- It provides a non-invasive restorative solution
- It can be used as a diagnostic appliance for short-term occlusal management and occlusal analysis. It is a very useful diagnostic tool prior to more complex treatment planning in full mouth rehabilitation cases. It also maintains the integrity of the bite for those patients that may be undergoing long-term extensive reconstruction
- It can be used to understand, diagnose, manage and stabilise the vertical dimension
- It has its uses as a surgical template for gingival re-contouring
- It is a durable, affordable and reversible treatment option with minimal chairside time
- There is no need for anaesthetics, adhesives or drilling
- It commands good retention since it is a completely tooth-borne appliance
- Snap-On Smile is a great way for patients to ‘preview’ cosmetic changes in their smiles before more permanent treatment is considered.