Last Updated on
What to expect when getting veneers
The entire treatment can take a minimum of 3 appointments. Although the treatment uses the Ultrathin Veneer techniques, it still follows the same Perfect Smile Studios signature protocols as designing any new smile.
This means that you will be fitted with a Trial Smile that we will create for you allowing you greater control of your end result.
The Trial Smile is a temporary smile fitted over your teeth for a few days.
It gives you the opportunity to literally “try-out” your new smile before you have the final porcelain veneers fitted at the Perfect Smile studios. We will then be able to make any necessary adjustments before the final veneers are fitted.
Step 1 – Comprehensive Assessment
At your first appointment, your dentist will take a look at the general health of your teeth and gums, your bite and understand your goals for your smile; and then see if any fundamental issues need addressing before cosmetic veneer work can begin.
We will also discuss the type of veneers that may be suitable and also the how-many-veneers that should be considered in achieving your desired smile. On some patients, it may be possible to get some veneers placed at an initial phase and then to have the possibility of additional veneers in the future.
We will first carry out a full comprehensive evaluation. This involves a dental and periodontal (gum) assessment. Also, x-rays photographs and a soft tissue evaluation will be done. We will also take a “face bow record” to mount study models so that an occlusion (bite) assessment can be done. Finally, we will carry out a complete cosmetic Smile Analysis. Various other diagnostic records may be required depending on each individual case.
Our digital smile design software will show you a preview of your smile makeover so you can see what the finished result will look like.
Depending on the veneers you choose, the whole process from consultation to application can often be completed in two visits over the course of a few weeks. Immediate veneers can be applied in only one visit.
Step 2- “The Trial Smile”
If necessary, the cosmetic dentist may decide to remove a thin layer of your tooth enamel prior to veneers being fitted. Some teeth may not need any preparation of the tooth, such as Lumineers or Ultrathin veneers which are bonded directly to the tooth with no drilling required.
Taking the impression. Your dentist will use putty to take an impression of your teeth and gums. This will ensure that your veneers will fit perfectly. The veneers are handcrafted using a vast range of colours, textures, translucencies and strengths in the laboratory by a professional ceramist.
We then construct temporary restorations and spend a great deal of time and effort to create nicely shaped teeth in the desired colour. This allows you to assess the changes we want to bring about in the final veneer restorations.
Step 3 – Review & Shade Selection
This is normally 1-3 days later.
On this visit, we need your views on the:
• Shape / Comfort
• Accuracy of the bite
Choosing the colour and shape
You and your dentist will determine how many veneers you need to achieve your dream smile. The exact specifications of your veneers will be decided including shape and colour.
Any minor changes to the shape (e.g. length of teeth and the “pointedness” of your canine teeth) can be easily carried out. Once our dentists and the patient are happy, an impression of the approved temporaries and further photographs are taken. This provides excellent information for our Master Ceramist Technician to create the individual handmade porcelain restorations.
It will take about one to three weeks for the final porcelain restoration to be constructed by the ceramist. All Porcelain restorations currently are individually hand-made and consequently will always show subtle variations in shapes and sizes.
Step 4-The fit visit
Final checks. Before veneers are bonded to the teeth, final checks of fit, shape, colour etc are made and adjusted as required.
The trial smile is carefully removed, and the new restorations tried in for accuracy of fit and colour. You will able to preview how the veneers look inside your mouth on this visit.
Bonding the veneer. The veneer is bonded to the tooth and the client is ready to enjoy their new smile.
Step 5-The final review visit
This is normally 1-7 days after the fitting appointment. We want to carefully check your bite and appearance, and ensure you are comfortable and happy with your new smile. Final photographs of your new smile are taken at this visit.
We sometimes advise the patient to have a bite guard made in order to protect the teeth for the long term. This should be worn at night time. The bite guard can be made from soft or hard plastic material, and you will be guided what is most appropriate for you.
PORCELAIN VENEER PROCESS
We take care of our anxious patients
Perfect Smile Studios are specially equipped to help nervous patients relax while undergoing treatment, including sedation options.
- We can help establish monthly payment plans.
- We provide 0% finance for up to 24 month term plans. Many patients find our payment plan option very useful.
- Terms over 24 months will be low-interest bearing.
- If you would like to consider this option we will need to carry out a few credit checks.
- We can discuss payment plans at both the Hertfordshire & the London clinic
Veneers are usually not painful whilst you are having the treatment.
However, some have reported slight sensitivity during the settling down period after the final fitting. This is quite normal and nothing to worry about. It usually only lasts for a few days and very soon after subsidies. More.
The sensitivity is due to the bonding process where an inorganic substance (the veneer) has been bonded to an organic component (your tooth).
In complex cases, involving a large amount of treatment, you may experience a little uncomfortableness while your teeth settle down.
Fast, simple, pain-free process
- At your first appointment, your dentist will take a look at the general health of your teeth and gums, your bite and understand your goals for your smile; and then see if any fundamental issues need addressing before cosmetic veneer work can begin.
- We will also discuss the type of veneers that may be suitable and also the how-many-veneers that should be considered in achieving your desired smile. On some patients, it may be possible to get some veneers placed at an initial phase and then to have the possibility of additional veneers in the future.
- We will always plan your new smile before any treatment is carried out. We aim to provide you with the most conservative and preservative dentistry.
- In order, to prevent excessive tooth preparation, we design your new smile in a way that minimises tooth preparation. We also provide options whereby you can have orthodontic or teeth straightening treatment carried out before any cosmetic veneer work is done.
- This way your teeth are already well aligned and so very minimal or hardly any tooth preparation become necessary.
- If you are concerned in any way we advise that you speak to us in your complimentary consultation. We will be able to provide you with suitable solutions. More.
Simple, transparent pricing
A few factors will affect the total cost of your cosmetic veneers:
- The type of material used – Porcelain (Ultrathin or Lumineers ) are more expensive than composite resin veneers.
- The number of veneers being applied – veneers are priced per tooth and so the more you have, the higher the cost.
- Your dental health – if you require treatment for other dental issues such as tooth decay or gum disease before veneers can be fitted then this will be included in the total cost of your dentistry work. More.
Frequently asked questions
- WHAT IS A DENTAL VENEER?
- ARE VENEERS PAINFUL?
- WHAT TYPE OF PORCELAIN VENEERS ARE THERE?
- WHAT ARE THE ALTERNATIVES TO PORCELAIN?
- HOW LONG WILL TREATMENT TAKE?
- HOW MUCH DO VENEERS COST FOR YOUR TEETH?
- ARE THERE ANY COMPLICATIONS?
- IS THERE AN AGE LIMIT?
- HOW DO I GET THE SMILE THAT I WANT?
- WHAT IS THE MAINTENANCE THAT IS REQUIRED?
Will my veneers match the colour of my existing teeth?
Veneers are colour matched and then shaped to blend in with your existing teeth. To the naked eye, veneers are very hard to spot.
We use a variety of types of veneers including Durathin, Lumineers, Ultrathin and a range of materials from porcelain to composite. One of the reasons that veneers are so popular is that they can treat a multitude of dental problems such as:
- They cosmetically enhance the shape of your teeth instantly change your appearance
- Have whiter looking teeth
- Crooked teeth the illusion of being straight
- Porcelain veneers are more resistant to stains than natural teeth
- They are a less invasive option than porcelain crowns
- Nearly impossible to tell the difference between veneers and natural teeth
- Veneers protect the underlying tooth
Aesthetic Success delivered in a few appointments
|Step 1: comprehensive assessment|
|Step 2: the trial smile|
|Step 3: review & shade selection|
|Step 4: the fitting visit|
|Step 5: the final review visit|
Dentists with a special interest in veneers
An unparalleled level of patient trust: Dr Rahul Doshi is the founder of the Perfect Smile and is the current President of the BACD.
With over 25 years of experience, Perfect Smile Studios has a highly-skilful team that has access to the latest dental technology.
- 150+ years of combined experience
- Est in 1994
- CQC registered
- Faster appointment times
- All staff are GDC registered
- Recommend excellent by Trustpilot