Two types of staining exist: Intrinsic and Extrinsic.
- This occurs mostly when the veneer absorbs the food or drinking colouring and changes colour permanently.
- However, this usually only happens with composite veneers that are made of a high strength plastic.
- Initially, they do not stain and look good. But over time they may change in different ways including tooth wear and a difference in colour.
- Composite veneers tend to pick up colouring from various foods and drink like curries and red wine.
- Composite veneers made in the laboratory (takes two visits) tend to be stronger and have better glossy finishes when compared to composite veneers created in the surgery in one visit.
- For this reason, laboratory-made composite veneers tend not to pick up as much staining.
However, the nature of plastics is as such that over time they will start to look worn and discoloured.
Although inconvenient to some, it is easy to improve the aesthetics with another treatment session using the same composite material.
If you are trying to avoid discolouration, staining and damaging your veneers, we would recommend opting for veneers made of porcelain, which will not change in shape or colour over time.
They tend to remain new looking. At the Perfect Smile, we will ensure you choose the right veneers for your smile.
This usually occurs with everyday tea, coffee, red wine, and curries. It can also occur in smokers.
It is usually staining that is stuck to the outside of the teeth.
Any high gloss finished veneer will not stain in this way.
However, excessive texturing on the surface of both composite and porcelain veneers can easily pick this staining up.
This staining also occurs on the backs of the teeth that have been veneered since this is normal tooth structure.
It is easy to remove external staining with regular visits to our practice and booking an appointment with our hygienist dental staff.
During the cleaning process, all stains on teeth will be removed leaving your teeth clean and polished.
However, without a change in dietary habits, these stains will simply return and ongoing visits will become necessary to continuously remove the staining.
Also, stained surfaces microscopically tend to attract more plaque and tartar. Read more.
This can cause future gum disease and tooth decay.
Intrinsic stains are more difficult to remove.
Since they mostly occur in composite veneers, they often require additional treatment to re-establish the surfaces of the veneers.
However, the process is simple, aesthetics can be easily restored and imperfections improved.
We offer a free consultation so you can visit us at one of our consulting rooms in Hertfordshire or London.
How to pay for dental veneers
- We can help establish monthly payment plans.
- We provide 0% finance for up to 24-month term plans. Many patients find our payment plan option very useful.
- Terms over 24 months will be low-interest bearing.
- If you would like to consider this option we will need to carry out a few credit checks.
- We can discuss payment plans at both the Hertfordshire & the London clinic
Veneers are usually not painful whilst you are having the treatment.
However, some have reported slight sensitivity during the settling down period after the final fitting.
This is quite normal and nothing to worry about. It usually only lasts for a few days and very soon after subsidies. More.
The sensitivity is due to the bonding process where an inorganic substance (the veneer) has been bonded to an organic component (your tooth).
In complex cases, involving a large amount of treatment, you may experience a little uncomfortableness while your teeth settle down.
Fast, simple, pain-free process
- At your first appointment, your dentist will take a look at the general health of your teeth and gums, your bite and understand your goals for your smile; and then see if any fundamental issues need addressing before cosmetic veneer work can begin.
- We will also discuss the type of veneers that may be suitable and also the how-many-veneers that should be considered in achieving your desired smile. On some patients, it may be possible to get some veneers placed at an initial phase and then to have the possibility of additional veneers in the future.
- We will always plan your new smile before any treatment is carried out. We aim to provide you with the most conservative and preservative dentistry.
- In order, to prevent excessive tooth preparation, we design your new smile in a way that minimises tooth preparation. We also provide options whereby you can have orthodontic or teeth straightening treatment carried out before any cosmetic veneer work is done.
- This way your teeth are already well aligned and so very minimal or hardly any tooth preparation become necessary.
- If you are concerned in any way we advise that you speak to us in your complimentary consultation. We will be able to provide you with suitable solutions. More.
Simple, transparent pricing
A few factors will affect the total cost of your cosmetic veneers:
- The type of material used – Porcelain (Ultrathin or Lumineers ) are more expensive than composite resin veneers.
- The number of veneers being applied – veneers are priced per tooth and so the more you have, the higher the cost.
- Your dental health – if you require treatment for other dental issues such as tooth decay or gum disease before veneers can be fitted then this will be included in the total cost of your dentistry work. More.
Frequently asked questions
- WHAT IS A DENTAL VENEER?
- ARE VENEERS PAINFUL?
- WHAT TYPE OF PORCELAIN VENEERS ARE THERE?
- WHAT ARE THE ALTERNATIVES TO PORCELAIN?
- HOW LONG WILL TREATMENT TAKE?
- HOW MUCH DO VENEERS COST FOR YOUR TEETH?
- ARE THERE ANY COMPLICATIONS?
- IS THERE AN AGE LIMIT?
- HOW DO I GET THE SMILE THAT I WANT?
- WHAT IS THE MAINTENANCE THAT IS REQUIRED?
Will my veneers match the colour of my existing teeth?
Veneers are colour matched and then shaped to blend in with your existing teeth. To the naked eye, veneers are very hard to spot.
We use a variety of types of veneers including Durathin, Lumineers, Ultrathin and a range of materials from porcelain to composite. One of the reasons that veneers are so popular is that they can treat a multitude of dental problems such as:
Ultrathin Veneers, Durathin Veneers and Lumineers involve no drilling and no injections since no tooth is being cut.
- They cosmetically enhance the shape of your teeth instantly change your appearance
- Have whiter looking teeth
- Crooked teeth the illusion of being straight
- Porcelain veneers are more resistant to stains than natural teeth
- They are a less invasive option than porcelain crowns
- Nearly impossible to tell the difference between veneers and natural teeth
- Veneers protect the underlying tooth
Aesthetic Success delivered in a few appointments
|Step 1: comprehensive assessment|
|Step 2: the trial smile|
|Step 3: review & shade selection|
|Step 4: the fitting visit|
|Step 5: the final review visit|
Expert dentists with a special interest in veneers
An unparalleled level of patient trust: Specialist Dr Rahul Doshi is the founder of the Perfect Smile and is the current President of the BACD.
With over 25 years of experience, Perfect Smile Studios has a highly-skilful team and dental hygienist staff that has access to the latest dental technology and Xray systems.
- 150+ years of combined experience
- Est in 1994
- CQC registered
- Faster appointment times
- All staff are GDC registered
- Recommend excellent by Trustpilot