Beautiful and Natural Ultrathin Veneers
Porcelain Veneers can now be created with no or very minimal tooth preparation to produce a stunning new smile. We can use Ultrathin Veneers in a Smile Makeover, a Smile Mini Makeover or for an individual tooth.
These veneers are often 0.2 – 0.4mm thick yet they are strong, long lasting and aesthetic.
We can custom create the smile that you want for your front teeth in combination with Smile2SuitU.
Cosmetic Dentistry WITHOUT Drilling is now the way forward.
A drive for new innovations and cutting edge technology (like teeth implants) has allowed for this much conservative approach. This allows us to award those looking for a new smile makeover but with a little drilling and without pain. Find out more here.
Ultrathin Veneers are made from IPS e.max lithium disilicate. They can have a strength of 500 MPa strength and 2.0 – 2.5 MPa∙m1/2 fracture toughness. Thus they can be made to be paper thin, yet have the strength to work with the bite forces generated in the mouth.
These veneers can be used as part of the Emax system where if used in combination with other treatments such as a crown, bridge or an implant, we can reassure a good colour match.
This is because Emax is layering porcelain that can be used for all types of porcelain restorations, thus creating the exact and uniform shade, texture and lustre for the entire smile.
Previous to Emax, the ability to create thin, strong, colour matched highly aesthetic veneers was very difficult. This is because the porcelain of choice was feldspathic porcelain.
This type of porcelain is highly aesthetic but only had a fifth of the strength of Emax.
This means the thickness of these veneers had to be larger and ranged from 0.5mm to 0.7mm. The manufacture of these UltraThin Veneers can be challenging, thus requiring a skilled and experienced ceramist technician to create them.
It involves three appointments
1) Teeth Preparation and Creation of a Trial Smile
- Ultrathin veneers were designed with minimal preparation in mind. A little roughening of the enamel surface that is required to make a better bonding surface when the ultra-high gloss of our natural enamel has been removed. Otherwise, we are simply relying on the micromechanical retention of the etching agent during the bonding procedure.
- Further altering of the shape of the tooth may become necessary to provide the best aesthetics.
- Once the teeth have been prepared, the dentist will need to take various records that will allow the ceramist in the laboratory to create the Ultrathin veneers.
- These records can include impressions (moulds) of your teeth to create the working model; bite records to assimilate the way you chew and photographs to be able to capture your facial measurements.
- Once this has been done, the dentist will then fit a Trial Smile to your teeth.
- This will be based upon all your specific needs and the dentist’s smile design for your treatment. It should be mostly what you are looking for in the aesthetics.
2) Verify that you are happy with your final smile
- The dentist will check if you are happy with the cosmetic aspect of your teeth and also if you are comfortable with the chewing.
- We then give the go-ahead to the ceramist to complete the work.
- Additional records such as photographs may be necessary at this stage too.
3) Fitting and final review
- You will have your new veneers fitted and bonded to your teeth.
- The dentist will first remove the trial smile with the utmost care so as not to disturb the underlying tooth, and then prepare the tooth for strong bonding.
- This involves using the latest state-of-the-art bonding agents. New veneers are then individually bonded to each tooth.
- A review appointment after a few weeks is recommended.
Here at The Perfect Smile Studios we expertly use veneers to create the amazing smile you’ve dreamed of.
(Your first initial consultation is free of charge.)