Occasionally too much gum showing when you smile or an uneven gum line where the gum meets the teeth can cause disharmony in your smile.
There are simple treatments available that can eliminate these problems in a quick and efficient way of restoring your natural smile.
During the clinical exam there are core questions that need to be answered by assessing the face:
1. Upper and Lower Face height ratio ( ideal is 1:1 )
2. Lip length ( should be 20 -24mm) and lip mobility from rest to full smile (should be 6-8mm)
3. Gum (Gingival) outline should be straight
4. Tooth length
5. Cemento - enamel junction detected by the probe
The treatment of the gummy disease depends on the causes outlined:
1. Upper lip issues
- Short upper lip - treatment options include patient education, Botox and fillers ( to makes lip longer)
- Mobile/ hyperactive - treatment options include patient education, Botox on elevator muscles or Plastic Surgery
- Hypoactive lip - treatment options include patient education to exercise, Botox at depressors muscle
- Asymmetric smiles - treatment is Botox
2. Short Clinical Crown
- Normal variation
- Tooth Wear
- Altered passive eruption (apical gum migration where cement- enamel junction cannot be felt with a probe)
The treatment options for the above include crown lengthening
3. Dento-alveolar Extrusion (Over erupted teeth) where there is concave gum outline
- Unopposed teeth
- Super eruption secondary to wear
- Canted outline due to gums and teeth developmental issues or unilateral wear due to TMJ asymmetry
The treatment options for the above include
- crown lengthening
- orthodontic intrusion
- increase the occlusal vertical dimension.
With orthodontic intrusion - this takes 6-12 months and relapse can be high or having retainers after treatment is important
4. Vertical Maxillary Excess - i.e. excess length of maxilla - Where the lower 1/3 facial height is less than mid facial 1/3
This often comes with multiple problems eg short or hypermobile lip, and altered passive eruption thus there are multiple treatment options which include Orthognathic surgery, Botox, Crown lengthening Or a Combination of above
Treatment options for Gum Recession, Gummy Smiles and Uneven Gumline
Contact us for any questions, requests and further information; or to arrange a FREE Initial Consultation.
Our free no obligation Initial Consultation will be with our dentist and/or our Treatment Coordinators. The suitability of options discussed will ultimately be dependent upon your clinical assessment with a dentist at the practice.