Enhanced teeth whitening systems can be used to brighten your smile at minimal cost: having a winning smile can enhance your looks and confidence
Alternatively, you can have mini-makeovers that use simple techniques to produce natural looking smiles quickly and affordably. Teeth may also appear discoloured because of tooth decay.
There are many types of tooth discolouration:
- Extrinsic: discolouration or staining caused by external factors, smoking, coffee, wine etc
- Intrinsic: commonly resulting in a yellowing of the teeth where the dentine or inner part of the tooth darkens
- Age-related: this is where the teeth enamel becomes thinner over time, resulting in yellowing and possible chipping of the tooth
- Fillings: there may be fillings which may be either disccoloured or that do not match the tooth or silver fillings which darken teeth
- Decay: new decay decay under filings make the teeth look darker or grey
- Crowns and Bridges: ill-fitting existing crowns and bridges creates a black shadow near the gum line or these may not match the neighbouring teeth and are darker because of a poor colour match
- Mediaction or congenital development of teeth: Mediaction taken during the development and formation of teeth such as tetracycline, or defective enamel during development including amelogenesis imperfecta
- Pupal Necorsis or poor Root Filling: when the nerve of the tooth becomes infected or the the root filling carried out is poor then the tooth may start to look grey
You have the choice of treatments available dependant on the cause of the discolouration:
1. Veneers click here:
Veneers form an optimum treatment option if the intrinsic discolouration is severe and teeth whitening may not be powerful enough to brighten a smile, when there are multiple discoloured large fillings, or when there is a large decay area.
2. A Smile Makeover
- what is a Smile Makeover?
- dental problems that can be fixed with a makeover
- advantages and number of appointments
A smile makeover is an optimum treatment option if the intrinsic discolouration is severe and teeth whitening may not be powerful enough to brighten a smile.
It is also appropriate when there are multiple discoloured large fillings, discolouration due to teeth developmental issues, tooth wear, crowding, gaps, and/or a narrow smile.
3. Teeth whitening
- What is the tooth whitening?
- pros and cons and number of dental visits required
- before & after photos
Teeth whitening is a good option providing minimal invasive dentistry when the only issue is mild tooth discolouration. If the discolouration is moderate than the teeth whitening may need to be carried out for an extensive period.
Severe intrinsic tooth discolouration requires other treatment options to be considered such as veneers.
If the discolouration is due to a poor roof filling or a poor seal then internal tooth whitening after a revised root filing will improve the colour
4. Replacement Crowns, Fillings and Bridges
Replacement crowns, fillings and bridges require measuring and recording the shade of the neighbouring teeth accurately and using a ceramist who understands the nuances of creating a layered appearance of tooth colour taking into account the small nuances present.
This involves taking digital photographs and recording and understanding the hue, value and chroma.
5. Root Filling or Re Root Filling
The removal of the infection in a tooth that requires root filling or one where the root filling is inadequate will improve the colour. This may involve the removal of tooth decay which also improves the colour.
Where re-root filling is carried out then internal tooth whitening is also an additional treatment often required
6. Hygiene Treatment
This is ideal when there is extrinsic tooth staining including the presence of plaque and calculus.
7. Combination of above treatment options
If you are not sure which option is right for you the first step is to come in and let a dentist advise you on the correct procedure.
Your initial consultation is completely free of charge.
Treatment options for Discoloured Teeth
Instant Smile Mini Makeover
Proven Teeth Whitening
Contact us for any questions, requests and further information; or to arrange a FREE Initial Consultation.
Our free no obligation Initial Consultation will be with our dentist and/or our Treatment Coordinators. The suitability of options discussed will ultimately be dependent upon your clinical assessment with a dentist at the practice.