Last Updated on
When designing custom veneers our highly recommended and experienced dentists, like Dr Gurs Sehmi will first examine the oral condition of your mouth’s hygiene and determine if there will need to be any additional treatments to ensure the longevity of your veneers.
Some types of treatments like Ultrathin veneers require no-prep techniques, such as no tooth cutting compared to the traditional veneer work, where sometimes some preparation may be necessary.
Sometimes “preparation” simply means roughening the surface of the tooth to enable better bonding to occur with the adhesives.
Depending on your teeth specialist, Dr Gurs Sehmi will discuss and assess which type of veneers will be most suitable for you and if preparation will be involved.
No drilling, no injections: The newer cosmetic veneers include Ultrathin Veneers, Durathin Veneers and Lumineers which involve no drilling and hence no injections since no tooth is being cut. These are extremely comfortable to have done and provide fantastic, long-lasting solutions.
The actual amount of tooth that will be needed to be prepared is variable and dependent upon several factors:
- The Planned Smile Design. The design will indicate where we need to build up the veneers and where we will need to remove a certain aspect of the teeth. This involves the shape and contour of your teeth. All the teeth are looked at together as opposed to a single tooth when creating a new smile.
- Required Arch Form. It also depends upon which teeth are “sticking out” of the arch form and which ones we need to give the appearance of being pushed in. In most cases, there is room to broaden out the arch in which case very little tooth will need to be prepared since we are mostly adding to each tooth’s outer surface.
- Length of the original teeth. In most cases, we can work with what we have. However, if the size of the teeth are too long then we will have to prepare teeth to shorten their appearance to produce the desired aesthetics.
- Crowding or Spacing. If teeth have spaces or gaps between them there may be very little tooth preparation required. Alternatively, if there is much crowding there will be more tooth preparation involved.
- The type of porcelain used. There are now a whole host of porcelain veneers that are manufactured in different ways and hence have differing properties. Porcelain used in UltraThin Veneers have been highly compressed to provide contact lens-thin veneers. In these instances, hardly any teeth need to be prepared keeping the existing tooth safe and intact.
- The Pre-Exiting Restorations. Teeth that are already heavily restored or have a crown on them will be prepared differently than to teeth that have no fillings or any type of restoration on them.
- Discoloured teeth. These may require a deeper preparation so that we can accommodate various masking techniques to prevent any discolouration appearing through the veneer. The amount of tooth preparation done is individual to each case and the extent of the discolouration.
- Additional Aesthetic Work. In some instances, you may require gum work or crown lengthening treatment that involves surgery to “lift” up the gum (gum lift surgery). Again, in these cases, the amount of tooth preparation is varied and dependent upon the final aesthetic outcome required.
A Conservative Approach
We will always plan your new smile before any treatment is carried out. We aim to provide you with the most conservative and preservative dentistry.
Our team is made up of expert cosmetic dentists, who come highly-rated and are trusted by our happy patients.
That’s why 98.2% of our patients leave our practice with a confidence boost.
In order, to prevent excessive tooth preparation, we design your new smile in a way that minimises tooth preparation. We also provide options whereby you can have orthodontic or teeth straightening treatment carried out before any cosmetic veneer work is done.
This way your teeth are already well aligned and so very minimal or hardly any tooth preparation become necessary.
If you are concerned in any way we advise that you speak to us in your complimentary consultation. We will be able to provide you with suitable solutions.
- We can help establish monthly payment plans.
- We provide 0% finance for up to 24-month term plans. Many patients find our payment plan option very useful.
- Terms over 24 months will be low-interest bearing.
- If you would like to consider this option we will need to carry out a few credit checks.
- We can discuss payment plans at both the Hertfordshire & the London clinic
Veneers are usually not painful whilst you are having the treatment.
However, some have reported slight sensitivity during the settling down period after the final fitting. This is quite normal and nothing to worry about. It usually only lasts for a few days and very soon after subsidies. More.
The sensitivity is due to the bonding process where an inorganic substance (the veneer) has been bonded to an organic component (your tooth).
In complex cases, involving a large amount of treatment, you may experience a little uncomfortableness while your teeth settle down.
Fast, simple, pain-free process
- At your first appointment, your dentist will take a look at the general health of your teeth and gums, your bite and understand your goals for your smile; and then see if any fundamental issues need addressing before cosmetic veneer work can begin.
- We will also discuss the type of veneers that may be suitable and also the how-many-veneers that should be considered in achieving your desired smile. On some patients, it may be possible to get some veneers placed at an initial phase and then to have the possibility of additional veneers in the future.
- We will always plan your new smile before any treatment is carried out. We aim to provide you with the most conservative and preservative dentistry.
- In order, to prevent excessive tooth preparation, we design your new smile in a way that minimises tooth preparation. We also provide options whereby you can have orthodontic or teeth straightening treatment carried out before any cosmetic veneer work is done.
- This way your teeth are already well aligned and so very minimal or hardly any tooth preparation become necessary.
- If you are concerned in any way we advise that you speak to us in your complimentary consultation. We will be able to provide you with suitable solutions. More.
Simple, transparent pricing
A few factors will affect the total cost of your cosmetic veneers:
- The type of material used – Porcelain (Ultrathin or Lumineers ) are more expensive than composite resin veneers.
- The number of veneers being applied – veneers are priced per tooth and so the more you have, the higher the cost.
- Your dental health – if you require treatment for other dental issues such as tooth decay or gum disease before veneers can be fitted then this will be included in the total cost of your dentistry work. More.
Frequently asked questions
- WHAT IS A DENTAL VENEER?
- ARE VENEERS PAINFUL?
- WHAT TYPE OF PORCELAIN VENEERS ARE THERE?
- WHAT ARE THE ALTERNATIVES TO PORCELAIN?
- HOW LONG WILL TREATMENT TAKE?
- HOW MUCH DO VENEERS COST FOR YOUR TEETH?
- ARE THERE ANY COMPLICATIONS?
- IS THERE AN AGE LIMIT?
- HOW DO I GET THE SMILE THAT I WANT?
- WHAT IS THE MAINTENANCE THAT IS REQUIRED?
Will my veneers match the colour of my existing teeth?
Veneers are colour matched and then shaped to blend in with your existing teeth. To the naked eye, veneers are very hard to spot.
Quick solutions to bad oral hygiene
Ultrathin Veneers, Durathin Veneers and Lumineers involve no drilling and no injections since no tooth is being cut.
One of the reasons that veneers are so popular is that they can treat a multitude of dental problems such as:
- They cosmetically enhance the shape of your teeth instantly change your appearance
- Have whiter looking teeth
- Straighter teeth
- Porcelain veneers are more resistant to stains than natural teeth
- They are a less invasive option than porcelain crowns
- Nearly impossible to tell the difference between veneers and natural teeth
- Veneers protect the underlying tooth
Aesthetic Success delivered in a few appointments
|Step 1: comprehensive assessment|
|Step 2: the trial smile|
|Step 3: review & shade selection|
|Step 4: the fitting visit|
|Step 5: the final review visit|
Dentists with a special interest in veneers
An unparalleled level of patient trust: Dr Rahul Doshi is the founder of the Perfect Smile and is the current President of the BACD.
With over 25 years of experience, Perfect Smile Studios has a highly-skilful team that has access to the latest dental technology.
Composite vs Porcelain veneers
What is the difference between these two treatment types? Porcelain veneers are thin shells that are adhered to the outer-surface of the tooth. Composite veneers use a resin thats applied to the outer-surface. Typically, because porcelain veneers are made from a stronger material they last longer. Composite veneers in this case are the more affordable option.
Both treatments are custom designed to match, or brighten your teeth and improve imperfections.
- 150+ years of combined experience
- Est in 1994
- CQC registered
- Faster appointment times
- All staff are GDC registered
- Recommend excellent by Trustpilot
Error: The account for perfectsmile needs to be reconnected.
Due to recent Instagram platform changes this Instagram account needs to be reconnected in order to continue updating. Reconnect on plugin Settings page