What is fluorosis?
Fluorosis is the hypomineralisation of tooth enamel.
This is caused by exposure to fluoride during enamel formation. This results in a mottled appearance of the teeth and can also lead to surface irregularities of the teeth.
So this occurs when high concentrations of fluoride are ingested in very early childhood with digesting toothpaste or drinking water in highly fluoridated areas bring the main cause of fluorosis.
Hence when using toothpaste a ‘pea-size’ amount is recommended for children.
Fluorosis is extremely common and can be mild or severe – in most cases discolouration is obvious to see. It can leave people feeling unconfident and unhappy with the appearance and overall look of their teeth and mouth.
Use Dean’s index to determine how badly your teeth have been affected by Fluorosis
- Grade 0: Normal teeth
- Grade 1: Small white flecks on the tooth
- Grade 2: Small opaque areas, but affecting less than 25% of the surface of the tooth and not too much on the tooth cusps
- Grade 3: Opaque areas affect much of the teeth, but less than 50% of the surface
- Grade 4: Not only are enamel surfaces fully effect, but they’re also beginning to show wear. Brown stains affect the teeth.
- Grade 5: The teeth look pitted and corroded, darkly stained.
Our team of highly skilled and expert dentists are equipped with the latest advances in dentistry and the knowledge to help you overcome any diagnosis, symptoms or disease. We are healthcare professionals who are dedicated to restoring oral health and strengthening oral hygiene.
Teeth whitening is a method that may work if the severity of the fluorosis is Grade 0, 1, or 2.
The treatment time may need to increase from a few weeks to several months depending on the severity of the whitening.
Severe whitening requires other treatment options such as the use of Icon, a highly sophisticated composite resin by DMG is very useful in helping with the removal of the white spots due to Fluorosis. As these options are minimally invasive, they are the method of choice.
Veneers become the treatment choice if teeth the whitening treatment with Icon does not deliver the desired results. However, with most of our patients, we see this treatment recommended when the severity of fluorosis is high and damaging to your health.
It is possible to fit a veneer to a single tooth or as many as you desire – with the option to add more in the future.
Veneers provide uniform shape and colour to your teeth. Our veneers are expertly colour matched to your natural teeth for a seamless, perfect smile.
Ultrathin Veneers, Durathin Veneers and Lumineers involve no drilling and no injections since no tooth is being cut.
Book a free consultation with a highly experienced and rated specialist dentist to determine whether teeth whitening treatments are a suitable option for you.
- We can help establish monthly payment plans.
- We provide 0% finance for up to 24 month term plans. Many patients find our payment plan option very useful.
- Terms over 24 months will be low-interest bearing.
- If you would like to consider this option we will need to carry out a few credit checks.
- We can discuss payment plans at both the Hertfordshire & the London clinic
Veneers are usually not painful whilst you are having the treatment.
However, some have reported slight sensitivity during the settling down period after the final fitting. This is quite normal and nothing to worry about. It usually only lasts for a few days and very soon after subsidies. More.
The sensitivity is due to the bonding process where an inorganic substance (the veneer) has been bonded to an organic component (your tooth).
In complex cases, involving a large amount of treatment, you may experience a little uncomfortableness while your teeth settle down.
Fast, simple, pain-free process
- At your first appointment, your dentist will take a look at the general health of your teeth and gums, your bite and understand your goals for your smile; and then see if any fundamental issues need addressing before cosmetic veneer work can begin.
- We will also discuss the type of veneers that may be suitable and also the how-many-veneers that should be considered in achieving your desired smile. On some patients, it may be possible to get some veneers placed at an initial phase and then to have the possibility of additional veneers in the future.
- We will always plan your new smile before any treatment is carried out. We aim to provide you with the most conservative and preservative dentistry.
- In order, to prevent excessive tooth preparation, we design your new smile in a way that minimises tooth preparation. We also provide options whereby you can have orthodontic or teeth straightening treatment carried out before any cosmetic veneer work is done.
- This way your teeth are already well aligned and so very minimal or hardly any tooth preparation become necessary.
- If you are concerned in any way we advise that you speak to us in your complimentary consultation. We will be able to provide you with suitable solutions. More.
Simple, transparent pricing
A few factors will affect the total cost of your cosmetic veneers:
- The type of material used – Porcelain (Ultrathin or Lumineers ) are more expensive than composite resin veneers.
- The number of veneers being applied – veneers are priced per tooth and so the more you have, the higher the cost.
- Your dental health – if you require treatment for other dental issues such as tooth decay or gum disease before veneers can be fitted then this will be included in the total cost of your dentistry work. More.
Frequently asked questions
- WHAT IS A DENTAL VENEER?
- ARE VENEERS PAINFUL?
- WHAT TYPE OF PORCELAIN VENEERS ARE THERE?
- WHAT ARE THE ALTERNATIVES TO PORCELAIN?
- HOW LONG WILL TREATMENT TAKE?
- HOW MUCH DO VENEERS COST FOR YOUR TEETH?
- ARE THERE ANY COMPLICATIONS?
- IS THERE AN AGE LIMIT?
- HOW DO I GET THE SMILE THAT I WANT?
- WHAT IS THE MAINTENANCE THAT IS REQUIRED?
Painless, comfortable, quick and relaxed appointments
Will my veneers match the colour of my existing teeth?
Veneers are colour matched and then shaped to blend in with your existing teeth. To the naked eye, veneers are very hard to spot.
Unleash the powerful potential of your smile
One of the reasons that veneers are so popular is that they can treat and correct a multitude of dental problems and reverse minor issues such as:
- Gaps between teeth or Worn and chipped teeth
- Gummy Smiles or Fluorosis
- Crooked teeth or Discoloured teeth
Veneers have also been often connected to tackling more serious dental issues like relieving the symptoms of gum disease, tooth sensitivity and damaged caused by tooth decay.
- They cosmetically enhance the shape of your teeth instantly change your appearance
- Have whiter looking teeth
- Crooked teeth the illusion of being straight
- Porcelain veneers are more resistant to stains than natural teeth
- They are a less invasive option than porcelain crowns
- Nearly impossible to tell the difference between veneers and natural teeth
- Veneers protect the underlying tooth
Aesthetic Success delivered in a few appointments
|Step 1: comprehensive assessment|
|Step 2: the trial smile|
|Step 3: review & shade selection|
|Step 4: the fitting visit|
|Step 5: the final review visit|
Dentists with a special interest in veneers
An unparalleled level of patient trust: Dr Rahul Doshi is the founder of the Perfect Smile and is the current President of the BACD.
With over 25 years of experience, Perfect Smile Studios has a highly-skilful team that has access to the latest dental technology.
- 150+ years of combined experience
- Est in 1994
- CQC registered
- Faster appointment times
- All staff are GDC registered
- Recommend excellent by Trustpilot
Medically reviewed & updated on May 24, 2022