There is more to a beautiful smile than aesthetics
Good oral hygiene can also play a part in your overall health.
It doesn’t take a lot to maintain good oral health, but it does require continuous care.
Here are our top tips to improve your oral hygiene:
- Remember to floss. Flossing is just as important as brushing, as often tiny particles of food can get stuck between teeth and cannot be removed with a brush. If food residue is not completely removed, it can turn into plaque which fuels bacterial growth, which in turn erodes the tooth enamel and creates cavities. Flossing a few times a week is enough to prevent this from happening.
- Drink plenty of water. It is the perfect natural cleaner that washes away bacteria and food remaining in the mouth after eating. It also stimulates the production of saliva, which acts as a natural barrier against bacteria and prevents plaque.
- Neutralise acids. Chewing gum is strongly recommended for maintaining a healthy mouth, provided that it is sugar-free, as the chewing motion stimulates the production of saliva which neutralises acid in the mouth. It is also advisable to choose gum that has whitening properties.
- Healthy food is crucial. Everybody knows that fizzy drinks and sugar are harmful to teeth. Instead, experts recommend that you choose food products that can strengthen the tooth enamel, such as milk and yoghurt. See our top foods for healthy teeth.
- Straighten your teeth. Crooked teeth are more difficult to keep clean and are more prone to tooth decay and gum disease. Braces and cosmetic dentistry can give your smile a makeover.