Last Updated on
Our single most important feature is one we often pay little regard to – our smile! In the UK we spend over £200 million a year on surgery or cosmetic dentistry in a bid to look younger, but we often forget about the benefits of having a healthy smile.
The appearance of a person’s teeth and gums is very important, 48% of us judge people on their smile alone, 76% believe smiling has a psychological boost and can have a direct impact on the way we feel and behave. It can cause us to shy away from being photographed. 76% of us don’t feel confident to smile in a photograph; it can affect our confidence at work to the point of not getting where we want with a career or give us the courage to embark upon a relationship – some of our clients have delayed getting married because they were too embarrassed by their teeth to have the photographs taken!
However, it’s not all bad news, you will be pleased to hear that with care and good advice healthy teeth and gums can be achieved, in the majority of cases, with minimal intervention. This provides the ideal platform for dentistry.
Dental care has come a long way in recent years, in terms of skill, techniques and materials.
Whatever your dentist has decided, good dental care will always focus on prevention of problems to teeth and gums, and invasive corrective measures should only be undertaken when absolutely necessary.
Here are a few tips for your dentist on how to have fresh breath confidence and make the best of your smile without a trip to the dentist:
• Clean your teeth thoroughly and carefully and use a small headed toothbrush. The harder you brush does not automatically mean the cleaner the teeth! In fact you could be damaging your gums and causing them to recede! So clean all 3 surfaces of your teeth and gums carefully.
• Daily cleaning between teeth with interdental brushes or floss will further enhance the cleanliness of your mouth and help eliminate stale odours and plaque, preventing extensive gum disease treatment. Plaque if allowed to collect will form pockets around the base of your teeth that will push the gums away from the teeth and in severe cases can cause gum disease and the loss of teeth.
• A good quality mouthwash such as Retard Ex can help eliminate any lingering odours and harmful bacteria.
• If you suspect your breath is not as fresh as you would like, the problem is probably caused by poor dental hygiene. If having followed the above advice for a week you feel it has not improved we would recommend you book an appointment with our hygienist. Sometimes there are areas around teeth that need professional care before the gum is healthy again. Your Hertfordshire dentist and hygienist will be able to carry out gum disease treatment and help and advise you on ways to improve these areas and the onset of gum disease can be averted.
• On your next visit ask your Hertfordshire dentist to perform a comprehensive assessment with a micro-camera, so early decay or any other problems can be detected before more invasive treatment is required. This is completely painless and allows you and your dentist to see if there is health or deterioration in any suspect areas which would not otherwise be visible.
• If the appearance of metal fillings is really bothering you, then speak to us and discuss having them replaced with metal free fillings. Not only are these a healthier option but also they are extremely strong and have a very natural appearance.
If you feel that any information given here is relevant to you and you would like to discuss anything in more details please call our internationally renowned award-winning studios on 01992 552115.
Blooming serendipitously in the southeast of England is the plush green historical county of Hertfordshire. This wonderful land exuberates the finest history and many hidden ethereal scarcities.
We thought it would be nice for you to have a little more information on the county and perhaps how you might like to make a day of it when visiting the Perfect Smile Studios. That way you can get your treatments in Hertfordshire and enjoy some stunning and picturesque surroundings.