What is orthodontics?
Orthodontics is a sub-speciality of dentistry devoted to realigning crooked teeth to improve the appearance and the treatment of improper bites (malocclusions).
What causes improper bites?
Malocclusions result from irregularities in the positioning of teeth, disproportionate jaw relationships, or both.
Why have orthodontic treatment?
Orthodontic treatment is carried out primarily to improve the alignment and function of your teeth and bite. It also results in improved oral health, easier maintenance, a better smile, and enhanced self-confidence and esteem. We have a range of treatment options available.
What is the first step?
What do we need in order to plan your orthodontic treatment?
- Moulds (impressions) of your teeth to study your bite (study models).
- “Articulated models” placing your study models in a machine that replicates jaw movement.
- Specialized x-rays showing your teeth and how your jaws align.
- Photographs of your smile and position of your teeth.
- Computer imaging. Have a look at our FAQ’s for more info.
What are braces?
Orthodontic appliances, commonly known as braces, are small brackets that are placed on teeth, through which thin flexible wires are threaded. They are the parts that move the teeth.
How do they work?
The wires will straighten out moving the teeth with them. Since the tissues that attach the bone to the teeth are living, they are constantly changing and remodelling themselves. Harnessing these natural forces allows the movement of teeth. Light controlled forces acting through the wires cause new bone to be formed as the teeth move into new improved positions. Click here for more about orthodontics.
What are current options for orthodontic appliances?
- Fixed appliances, traditionally known as braces, include brackets bonded to the teeth. These may be either metal or clear brackets, which are less visible but more susceptible to breakage.
- Removable appliances, or clear aligners. These consist of a series of computer-generated clear plastic custom fitted trays that progressively move the teeth into better alignment.
Orthodontic treatment allows the dental profession to precisely move teeth for better appearance as well as improved function. It harnesses the body’s natural processes by which tissues normally remodel themselves to maintain a steady state, allowing your dental team to move your teeth into improved position for a lifetime of dental health and a great smile.
Contact us today on 01992 552115 to book your free consultation
It is quite reassuring to know that these days the orthodontic treatments to teeth straightening are not as bad as they once were.
It is almost fashionable to have braces as a teenager nowadays with groovy colours in the bands and tooth coloured treatments. Click here.
Teeth straightening options have galloped ahead to a greater dimension of the future Teeth straightening orthodontic treatments are now easily available to adults without incurring time penalties.
How do I choose between traditional braces (bracket and wire) and Invisalign? How will I know which one is right for me?
There are several factors that can help you decide which type of teeth straightening system is correct for you.
A detailed assessment with your dentist will also highlight the best way forward for you.
Compliance Another factor to consider is compliance for wear.